With multiple age groups online, generational marketing is more important than ever. This is especially true for the travel and leisure industry, since most generations are traveling. And for campground owners, marketing to baby boomers may be of particular interest. While adventurous camping may be more typical of younger age groups, RV parks and cabins certainly attract a more senior crowd.
How can you target these seniors online?
You know that this older generation will enjoy a stay at your campground, so all you have to do is convince them to book with you. The following are some useful tips for connecting with baby boomers when marketing your campground.
- Focus on their vitality. As a travel and leisure business, it is in your best interest to focus on baby boomers’ abilities, not their limitations. It is also common respect. Focus your marketing on active retirement, leisure time, and family bonding when marketing to this age group, for example.
- Don’t be afraid to be personal. Most baby boomers value personal connections, so do what you can to make them. This can be especially effective if you are a family-owned business. Provide a phone number and encourage them to call with any questions or to make a reservation.
- Provide excellent customer service. While 44% of shopping experiences start with a search engine, they certainly don’t stop there. Again, older generations value relationships, so this means being accountable for your customer service. Fulfill your promises and offer assistance when campsite booking does not go as planned.
- Take advantage of Facebook. While more outdoorsy young people are finding their destinations on platforms like Instagram, many baby boomers are sticking with Facebook. Targeted ads can be useful, just remember to use photos of seniors in your marketing images.
- Send out reservation reminders and offers. Email can be a very useful tool when communicating with senior guests. Send out reservation reminders via email, and then follow up after their stay. Ask for their input or offer a coupon for a future stay. This can turn a one time guest into a returning customer.
By focusing your digital marketing on baby boomers, you can tap into a large demographic of leisure seekers. And once they come camping themselves, they may one day return with their whole family. The key is to keep up contact and market your campground continuously.